[OM] Re: Lanscape's via PC stitching, was: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Lanscape's via PC stitching, was: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 08:56:15 -0400
Thanks to all who responded to my technical question regarding pano
creation with a shift lens vs. camera rotation.  Mike's response about
using the camera in a vertical position caught me by surprise and John
Lind's remarks are always complete and welcome.

John also commented:
------------------------
There is a field method for doing this that enjoys some amount
of success, but it also requires considerable fiddling with exact
position of the camera on the tripod (relative to the rotation point).
Furthermore,  this requires a pair of sliding plates orthogonal to each
other between  camera and rest of tripod head to allow adjusting camera
position with two degrees of freedom.
------------------------

Here is the description of a field method designed to be used in
conjunction with a panoramic tripod head.  It's obviously much more
easily done digitally than with film but either can be used.
<http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/setup_panohead.jsp>

Also, here is a link to an absolutely astonishing piece of free pano
software that can produce excellent results; often with no panohead and
even with no tripod or level.  You don't have to do anything except
point the software to a folder containing the images to be used in the
panorama.  If certain photos in that folder don't belong to the panorama
it will slow it down but it will also figure out what belongs and what
doesn't.  I didn't believe it until I tried it.  I doubt it would stand
up to the rigorous high resolution stuff that Mike is after but it is
certainly capable of producing a beautiful two page spread in a large
photo album from two 6MP images.  If you have no experience with panos
and have any digital camera this is a good place to start.  It's
unsupported, free, experimental software that is updated about once a
month which will invalidate your currently installed copy.  Downloading
and reinstalling, however, is easy and quick .
<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html>

Chuck Norcutt