[OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?
From: "Paul Braun" <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:53:21 -0500
On 13 May 2005 at 14:48, Moose wrote:

> InkJets have continued to improve in the B&W area. For a useful
> discussion and examples, take a look at the photo-i review of the Epson
> R800, the narrow carriage version of the R1800. Unfortunately, some of
> his reviews don't seem to have separate page URLs, so you have to click
> on reviews, then the R800. Page 6 is the one about B&W, but you probably
> want to read it all if seriously considering the R1800
> <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/>.

Done.  Very interesting reading.

> "I will be doing a mega test on the R2400 as soon as it arrives in the
> UK, but for the time being all I can say is that if the 2100 and R1800
> printers blew you away then you have seen nothing yet. I have always
> said that for monochrome work the HP 7960, 8450 and 8750 printers leave
> the competition standing - well it looks as if everything is set to
> change. Epson has cracked the neutrality issue and metamerism with the
> introduction of UltraChrome K3 inks. HP is going to have to put their
> thinking caps on again."

Very impressive review... since I'm a month or two out from buying, I
may just wait for the 2400.  Will probably sell in the same price
range at street prices.

Thanks for all the input.  I would need to get a much better enlarger,
a new timer, and an easel, so the logistics and economics point
towards just getting the Epson and going that route.

I've shot XP2 before and really liked it -- perhaps it's time to revisit.
There is something to the analog printing process that's magical, but
I'll learn to adapt.

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
cygnus at ctgonline.org
Valparaiso, IN

"Enjoy every sandwich." -- Warren Zevon

"At Microsoft, Quality is job, oh, I dunno, maybe 7 or 8?"