[OM] Re: Problem with Tamron 35-105/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Problem with Tamron 35-105/2.8
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:56:59 -0400
on 2005/06/25 6:02 AM, Chuck Norcutt at chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you want to take a look yourself you will probably find the
> adjustment mechanism under the rubber focusing ring.  It could be a
> screw or screws or a piece of tape across adjoining sleeves.

Underneath the rubber grip I did find a little travelling stop in a channel,
but it wasn't hitting the end when the lens stopped prematurely. Then I
turned the lens over and a very small brass ring or ferrule dropped out. The
focus mostly freed up, though sometimes it still stops at 5m. When I shake
the lens, something small rattles quietly.

Something has worked itself loose. Time for the shop.

A side note: I've been very impressed with the 80-200/2.8, but less so with
the 35-105/2.8. The images have been fine, but both samples I've tried have
suffered sticky zoom action. This sample unfortunately didn't manifest that
until too late. Also, the hood seems much less robust than the 80-200; it
always feels as though I'm going to break the plastic mounting slots taking
it on and off.

Andrew