[OM] Re: Discounted E-1s?

Subject: [OM] Re: Discounted E-1s?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:29:54 -0700
You are right about the need for the 4/3 group to get cracking. What
you are seeing with the E-1 is a casualty of slow development. It was
conceived as a pro level camera back when a 5 MP sensor would have
been an incremental step up. It was announced in May 2001. The 2 1/2
years from announcement to production meant everyone else had moved
on. By the time the E-1 came out, I am sure that Olympus had already
dropped the asking price because of the 5MP sensor, but that price
was still too high. In very short order in order to sell the price
dropped to compete with everyone else's consumer grade plastic bodied
cameras. Not very profitable with that expensive body and even
missing a feature of consumer grade camera. Sadly, I think the E-1
was designed to improve on the Nikon D1 and Canon D30 and Oly's
design team was not flexible enough to improve the specs as the
competition brought out improved models.

The E-300 provides a pop up flash and fortunately for the Oly camera
bottom line that model seems to be doing well in the market place.

If you had bought a pro level Canon or Nikon you would also be buying
a flash. :-)

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA