[OM] Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up your data.
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:30:16 -0600
Peter Leyssens wrote:
>>I recently read about the things being done by the big portable computer
>>makers to make their HDDs reliable. I don't remember it all, but one
>>example is built-in accelerometers, so the drive can park heads and spin
>>down the motor BEFORE it lands. One of the few reasons I can see to pay
>>the premium prices for a couple of brands.
>
> Wow.  Which brand is that ?

  The new Apple iBooks do this:

"Now every iBook G4 is equipped with Apple’s Sudden Motion Sensor to
help protect your most valuable asset: your data. The Sudden Motion
Sensor senses change in axis position and accelerated movement. In the
event of a drop or fall, the Sudden Motion Sensor instantly parks the
hard drive heads so they won’t scratch the disks on impact, lessening
the risk of damage and improving your chances of retrieving valuable
data. When the Sudden Motion Sensor senses your iBook G4 is once again
level, it unlocks the hard drive heads automatically."

  -- dan