[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:05:54 -0400
AG Schnozz wrote:

>>experiences with it, the borg version of "chunk-o-caster". Raw
>>files on E-1 are 10.5mb for 5mp, and the 5D 12.8mp are
>>12-14mb.
>

> And that is probably the most inexcusable part of the E-1. The
> RAW files are just too large.

I suspect that there simply isn't enough horsepower in the box to do
significant non-lossy compression.  The E-300 and E-500 do
proportionately better than the E-1 and have a good data rate but the
file size in raw mode is still about double the size of the Canon.
Think how much faster the box would be if it only had to write half the
data.

I think the smaller companies such as Olympus, Minolta and even Nikon
are trying to do too much on the proprietary side when it comes to the
digital processing.  I think they should consider forming a consortium
for developing high performance processing chips that can produce JPEGs
and a standard format raw file such as DNG.  Then they can quit worrying
about re-inventing "film processing" on every new camera and get back to
differentiating themselve on body and lens features as they've
successfully done for decades.

Probably not likely to happen as long as Sony is providing sensor chips
for some.

Chuck Norcutt