[OM] Re: Cold Weather Primer

Subject: [OM] Re: Cold Weather Primer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:01:59 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>But mountains are not seasonal.  I know people who have moved to the
>mountains because they loved them so much and then moved back because
>you sometimes learn to un-love them when you have to drive through
>them all the time to get groceries, go to church, soccer games, etc.

Depends a lot on what you call mountains. The hills where I live at
1,000 ft. would be called mountains in many parts of the country. I
drove through the NE White Mtns. this year. Bigger than the Smokies,
etc., but there are lots of unnamed foothills in the Rockies, Cascades
and Sierras, Western Whites, etc. bigger than Washington.

I certainly like visiting the bigger chains in the West. But I don't
think I'd like to live there. I just don't see myself being happy long
term out of sight of big water.

>But I'd like to winter once in the mountains before I kick off.  Maybe
>start off in Vermont or New Hampshire, see if I like it, and then try
>Colorado or Idaho or Montana if I could stand the short days.

Days no shorter there than in the NE. Slightly longer, the further south
you go. I've been in the Sierras many timeswith serious snow, almost got
snowed in one in a situation where I could have ended up in jail or a
funny farm, but saw the signs and got out just in the nick of time. One
of the last cars through before they closed the pass, hairy ride!

I hope you find your winter in the mountains!

Moose