[OM] Re: Zoom Lens for OM system

Subject: [OM] Re: Zoom Lens for OM system
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:15:54 -0500
Wow, I didn't know that the Tokina was so much lighter.. Thanks Moose.  I
really like the bright, f/2.8 lenses, and stayed away from slower zooms,
even with their greater reach and lighter weight.  It's the machocist in
me, I guess?  So I don't have a wide range of experiences there.

The market drives the prices of these lenses.  Sometimes I rationalize that
the Tamron lenses are cheaper because the demand is spread much wider
amongst many makes....but then I hear stories like yours and rationalize
that the Tamron's are more expensive because there are more buyers, like an
auction.  Which is right?  The cult-ish reputation of the Tamron lens may
also have something to do with any higher pricing.

The Tokina is much, much less well known, which is a shame.  But certainly
the market for an 80-200/2.8 in a dedicated OM mount is much smaller than
the Tamron, with it's Adaptall mount.

In the end, It's really a buyers market, and whatever you can snag one for
is what it's worth.

Skip

http://mail2web.com/ .