[OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced

Subject: [OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:57:11 -0500
Yes, spherical abberation since the primary mirrors are fast and
spherical and suffer from lots of it.

The Schmidt corrector plate does the same for a Schmidt cassegrain which
also uses a spherical primary.  Schmidt plates are much cheaper and
easier to make than the Maksutov's meniscus lens in sizes above 7".
Therefore you may never see a Questar larger than 7".  The Maksutov's
principal problem is that that front meniscus lens has to be very thick.
Pouring a large diameter, bubble free lens blank is hard stuff.

Chuck Norcutt