[OM] Re: UPS update

Subject: [OM] Re: UPS update
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:26:06 -0700
There is a lot of data now that verifies that taking weapons from
law-abiding citizens makes crime easier for the criminals and crime rates
increase. Of course, many other opinions are available whether supported by
data or not. Not a proper debate for this forum as there is too much emotion
involved. With respect to protection from bears, there is now quite a bit of
data that says bear spray is a better deterrent to attack than a firearm. A
gun-shot grizzly will usually stay alive long enough to get you before they
die unless the shot hits a vital neurological center. I always carry both
and hope there is time to get one or the other out before the critter gets
me. Most bear charges are false but it's the other kind one must worry
about. In a perverse way I like the big bears and have never had a problem
with one. Sometimes the damn things jump on a tent in the night and it's
difficult to defend against that. I don't feel comfortable sleeping in a
tent in grizzly country and am thinking about buying a portable electric
fence that can be put around a tent. No bear has gone through one yet and
they have been used extensively in Alaska and Canada. They weigh abut three
pounds with batteries. It might be kind of like absent people having burglar
alarms though. I can just imagine getting up to piss in the night and
forgetting about the damn electric fence. Life just gets too complicated.
I'd rather be killed fighting a bear than die in bed from cancer. /jmac