[OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n

Subject: [OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:18:13 -0000
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:

> I bought OM1n from ebays 2-3 months ago, it works fine in cloudy
> days or dim light, but everytime I shoot in the sunny day,
> it's always over saturated. I'm quite sure that I measure
> the light correctly, sometimes I tried to adjust it to be
> under saturated, but in the sunny day, it's still very over.
> Here is the picture from the same film:
>
> http://static.flickr.com/20/71957949_d91dbfd506_o.jpg (cloudy)
> http://static.flickr.com/20/71958077_f9dbe46005_o.jpg (sunny)
> http://static.flickr.com/20/71958225_551cf67414_o.jpg (sunny)
>
> It's very weird that if it's not sunny, the camera always produce
> okay images.
>
> I'm using weincell on it, since I cannot find a mercury cell, is it
> the cause ?
> or is it possible that the camera is not perfectly sealed ?
> or the problem with high shutter speed ?

What film are you using?

To be honest, they all look over-exposed to me. The effect is just more
catastrophic in sunny conditions. Have you got a light meter you can
test it against.

It's not the non-Hg cell that's the problem here. Worst case it'd be 1/3
stop out or so. Even a 1.55V cell wouldn't give results like this --
they're about 1-1.5 stops out. I'd hazard that these are 4-6 stops out.

I think that, assuming you have set the film speed right, there's
something seriously wrong with the camera, either in the light meter or
the shutter speeds or aperture linkage, or something.

Simon