[OM] Re: Film photography of the greater kind

Subject: [OM] Re: Film photography of the greater kind
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:38:22 -0800
You have to remember that Adams developed both as a photographer and
as a printer, separately. His pushing of printing led to his
development of the zone system and of course that changed his
approach to photography not only in his exposure, but, I think, his
increasing abstraction of nature. His early stuff as he was learning
his craft was indistinguishable from the other "Pictorialists" from
that era although occasionally he reprinted some of his early
negatives and utterly transformed them.

He also came to photography late because he intended a career as a
concert pianist and that did not work out. So a lot of his stuff that
is preserved in museum exhibits are his baby steps as he learned the
craft, but not yet pushed it forward. There is a tendency, I think,
to hang anything by a famous person. I can think of a few paintings
in a Van Gogh exhibit I saw a few years ago that I think he would
have been embarrassed by in that setting, little more than exercises
exploring an idea.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA