[OM] Re: Value of one old Olympus model

Subject: [OM] Re: Value of one old Olympus model
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:21:18 +1100
At 11:50 PM 14/03/2006 +1300, Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Take a peep at this expired Trademe auction.
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=47672103
>
>Finally went for $NZ 816 to a well known camera trader.
>
>According to Roger Wesson's online Olympus history, the models in this
>series were made from 1948 to 1955.
>
>I've never seen one in the flesh. This is what he wrote.  Brian
>
> > The "35" Series can be grouped into three subseries:
> > - the I/II/III/IV/V series from 1948-1955
> > - the S I/S II/K series from 1955-1959
> > - the LE/LC/SP/RC/EC/ECR/RD/ED series from 1966-1978.
> > The Olympus 35, Model I was not only the first 35mm film model Olympus
> made, it
> > was also the very first lens shutter type 35mm camera ever to be made
> in Japan.
> > It incorporated a fixed Zuiko 40mm/F3.5 lens. The film mask had an
> > unconventional size: 24x32mm instead of the usual 24x36mm. All models
> in this
> > series were viewfinder cameras; none of them had a built-in meter.

This is the 'CatsPaw' model which had three variations according to John
Foster's site
http://www.biofos.com/

The variation #2 John values at £400 and he states the other two variations
are rarer and presumably are valued higher.  It's impossible to tell from
the photo what variation this TradeMe example is.

I follow Oly auctions on oboy and the only other one of these I've seen for
sale went for US$600.00 and the seller said how it took him nine years to
find one of them.

The only other old Oly that comes close to the value of these are Oly TLR's
which sell for anything between US $300.00 and $700

Andrew McPhee
http://www.dev-stop-fix.com/