[OM] Re: [Photo]2nd Takahashi shot

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo]2nd Takahashi shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:46:04 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> Another image in a little better light and less of a crop.  Focus should
> have been a bit further toward the bird's feet though.
>
> http://www.simons-rock.edu/~rlovison/temp/bird2.html

These shots show some promise. How much are they cropped? Unless they
are cropped a lot, I would expect more from the Takahashi, based merely
on its reputation.

As it happens, I've been continuing my leisurely process of going
through and scanning pre-scanner film and just scanned some shots on an
overcast day from 2001 taken with my then new to me Tokina 150-500/5.6.
I couldn't wait for better weather to try it out. Among them were a few
bird shots, including this shot of a Brown Towhee in the branches of a
budding Japanese Plum tree
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Towhee.htm>.

In case it isn't obvious, the first image is the full 35 mm frame, and
the second and third are cropped to show what a 4/3 sensor would see
through the same lens. Later, I fond out that this lens doesn't have
such a great rep, and the photodo MTF numbers aren't so good. On the
other hand, I was satisfied with the pics, so I decided not to worry
about it. With such superior bokeh and with control of the DOF, it was
much more useful than the 500/8 mirror lens which was the only really
long lens I had at the time.

Anyway, the point is that the Takahashi is also 500 mm fl, and the
Tokina isn't supposed to be all that sharp at the long end, so I would
expect it to be sharper in comparison to the above shot than it appears
to be in the shots you've posted so far.

Vibration control is crucial at these fls. My shot was taken using a
Bogen 3047 head on a Bogen 3236 tripod (which now has some new number),
both heavy, sturdy pieces, using wetware damping, i.e., I was holding
the camera with some downward pressure.

Now, get out there and show us what it can really do! ;-)

Moose