[OM] Re: another zuikoholic joins the boat... (the story)

Subject: [OM] Re: another zuikoholic joins the boat... (the story)
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:47:36 +0200
Le samedi 15 Avril 2006 09:14, Christos Stavrou a écrit :

> For me, the starting premise is that photography is (and should be) not a
> representation..

I can't agree more with your philosophy. But personaly, now firstly I tend to
avoid as much as possible any physical defect of the film. It's easy to
simulate anything from vignetting to grain with a picture processing
software, hence I like to keep open the field of possibilities. Secondly, I
have a feeling that when an effect is to much akin to a defect, the artistic
intention is not very clear to the public, and you're easily mistaken with a
poor photograph. And finaly, I find that those easy tricks all have this "je
ne sais quoi" of "déjà vu" that lessen the viewing experience. Why limit
yourself to a simulacre of existing defect where you can, for instance, put
the vignetting off-center to emphasize a particular spot ? Or have 2
different zones in your picture ?

> Of course opinions may differ in this inherently debated and always
> subjective issue.

Of course ; the most important consideration in a hobby should always be to
please yourself first. But I noticed that exchanging with people who've been
there, done that before me had a very positive impact on my work.

--
Manuel Viet