[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 22:19:11 -0400
Comments inline:

> Motherboard:     MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Not a motherboard guy, so I can't comment.

> Processor:        AMD Athlon 64 3000 + Socket 939

Fairly new, 64 bit, middle of the power band.  Nothing wrong with it, not
the most current
> Video:               MSI FX 5500 T128
Pretty low-end.  Fine for photo work, wouldn't be a good solution for
video/TV, etc.

> Memory:           1 GB. Kingston

More is always better.

> HD:                   2 HD 120 GB each @7200, RAID - Seagate SATA

Raid 0 or 1?  I'd break the Raid array and have two drives.

> Optical Drives:  one DVD 16X burner (dual layer?)
>                        another DVD reader / CD-R

Dual layer disks are too expensive anyway

> Connectivity:    3 Firewire
>                        6 USB 2
>                        Paralell
>                        Video (still don't know if Composite, S-VHS or
> what)

A 5500 would be unlikely to have composite.  Probably DVI and perhaps S-VHS.
Might have a DVI and a VGA and an S-VHS

>                        2 Audio in & Audio out
> Cabinet:           Topower
> Power Supply:  400 watts. "Reales con corrector de factor de potencia"(?).
> Floppy disk drive.
> Ethernet Gigabit -10/100/1000

Gigabit good :)  I have gigabit throughout the house, but I do all my TV
watching through our PC network, so..........Gotta move that 1.5TB somehow.