[OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions: Small Digital Point-and-Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:13:12 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> I don't know whether you are referring to all the little Fuji cameras,
> or whether you don't consider the C-7000 to be small, but I consider
> it quite small and it shoots RAW.
I did look at the C-7000. It is longer and much deeper than the F10 and
weighs about 50% more, so it didn't really fit my criteria in that
sense. But it might still have been in the running, if only for the RAW
capability and additional tele range. Then again, probably not. I really
wasn't looking for an all round camera, but something small and yet
capable enough that I could carry it anywhere and get results I would
like. Once a camera gets above a certain size/weight, taking it along
becomes different and I might just as well carry a DSLR. That's just how
it is with me, your mileage obviously varies.

Also, it is slow in operation, one of my key criteria. I spent too much
time missing shots of my granddaughters due to focus/shutter lag with my
prior P&S. It also failed another of my key criteria, noise. Although
noisier than the F10 at iso 400, it isn't bad, but the lack of at least
800 knocked it out of the running. Both cameras have lenses of the same
speed.
> I can carry it my my pants pocket
> (though it possibly makes it look like I'm happy to see you).  This
> shot was shot in RAW mode using the macro focusing feature, manual
> settings, and AF lock:
>
> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/day/p5100002.jpg

Great shot!
> I used a tripod.
I can't remember using a tripod with the F10, although I may have at
some time. It's part of that size/weight thing...

Moose