[OM] Re: Cibachromes

Subject: [OM] Re: Cibachromes
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:53:16 -0500
> With supply limitations and equipment scarcity, we are sadly announcing
> the end of our Ilfochrome line of  Products and Services. While Ilfochrome
> prints were a unique process, our Kodak Endura © Metallic surface prints
> have a similar iridescent quality. For a limited time we are offering
> these Metallic Prints for the same price as our Matte and Glossy surfaces.

I can't say I;m surprised at this, as the other means of reversal printing
are already out of production, and considering Ilford's problems, a barely
used process made of very nasty chemicals can't be a priority.

I'm astonished, on the other hand, to see Metallic paper offered as a match.
While I like that paper in certain uses, there is little or none of the
distinctive appearance of a Ciba/Ilfochrome. It does have a good look on
reflective metal surfaces (the paper contains no metal,, there are
microscopic air bubbles that reflect light in a unique way), but it is
exceptionally sensitive to lighting. Viewed under different light, the look
can change from dramatic to unseen. It is very glossy, though.

Bill Pearce