[OM] Re: any entomologist?

Subject: [OM] Re: any entomologist?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:37:39 +0000
I'm no entomologist, although admittedly considered a little buggy by some, but
my first thought was that maybe she had escaped from a spider's web.

Yesterday, upon leaving Publix after doing our weekly foraging, we came upon a
5-inch preying mantis in the parking lot, obviously in distress from the hot
asphalt and blazing sun. My wife caught her in a grocery sack and we brought
her home and set her loose on a wisteria vine in the front yard, figuring if
she was going to die, she should do so in a natural setting instead of in the
middle of a 5-acre parking lot.

I went out to see if I could find her a while ago, and she's looking remarkably
healthy, happy, and definitely quite predatory, hanging under a leafy branch,
ready to pounce on an afternoon snack. I chose not to bother her during her
recuperation from her travails, but if she's still alive and where I can find
her tomorrow, I'll take a few shots. I don't photograph bugs when they're dead,
although I have been known to put the occasional one in the fridge for a while
before they "sit" for their portrait.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from