[OM] Re: (was) Is this a "Fang" ?

Subject: [OM] Re: (was) Is this a "Fang" ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:44:18 +1300
Hello all

Chuck asked
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/SFR/images/William&Sarah-family.htm

> Could be that it was just a softly lit hazy day ideal for taking a group
> photo.  But it makes me wonder what sort of flash bulb setup might have
> been used in 1953 for fill light on a large group or whether such things
> were even done then.  I'm not quite old enough to know the answer.

As far as I can tell this was probably taken on a bright overcast day. Flash
units of the size needed for this large group would have been practically
unknown there, in those days. The web image is considerably cropped, but I
just looked at the full 3.5 MB image on the CD and the tree on the left has
leaves casting fairly hard-edged shadows on the leaves below, so there was
some direct sunlight.

This image shows what is possible with the E-1 and the manual Zuiko 50/2.5
macro. I took it hand-held, bent over it like a safety-pin, and the lens
stopped
down to f/8, in direct sunlight. Three versions are about equally sharp. The
original print was magnificently sharp.

Did you get to find the image I made, modified by the use of Graeme
Battison's javascript from his "The Snapper" page?

Clue - you can find it in
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/SFR/images/JH-Swale-lineage.htm

Brian