[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:40:00 -0800
Bob Whitmire wrote:

> I thought the horse was kinda interesting, but I didn't know how much
> actually taking the picture had to do with it. I was out in a storm,
> and saw Rambo in a field. Jumped out of the car to take "horse in
> field" picture, but apparently Rambo was bored. He trotted over to
> see what I was doing, ruining my snowy vista with horse, so I racked
> the 14-54 down and just snapped a few.
>
> Best reaction I heard at the shop one of the days I was working was:
> "Oh my God! Lisa, come look at this horse!"

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has seen your large prints in
person. So I know what a huge difference there is with some of them
between the small web images and big prints. I'm betting that the horse
picture is very powerful at something approaching life size. I can
imagine how it could just grab some people.

Some kinds of images that work larger just don't work at web sizes. Some
foliage, for example, just drives me crazy trying to get it to look good
in a small JPEG. Fall color in Maine? Feh! Only close-up or far away
seem to look good on the web. Maybe it's time to try some alternate
downsizing software.
> Makes a man feel good to hear stuff like that. <g>

OK, here's some more. I spent a lot of time browsing through your prints
at the Co-op and throughly enjoyed myself. You take some damn fine
images and make great prints of them. It makes perfect sense to me that
your web sales would be mostly to those who already have bought from
you. The web images just don't have the impact, but once one has seen
the difference, it's easier to imagine what a print would be like. When
I get some photo income, I'll spend some on your stuff, especially
frozen stuff and sea fog that I plan never to see in person. ;-)

Does this mean you'll buy me a beer next time? :-)

Moose