[OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation of the e-

Subject: [OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation of the e-2 and print sales.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:54:32 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Mine did that once when I tried to use up some Kodak paper. I
> discovered on a printer forum that you can't use paper designed for
> dye inks in a pigment ink printer. Don't know whether that is your
> problem or not.

My 1280 has done that with Kodak paper, but it is paper that's supposed
to work with dye inks. I have to be very careful with the paper
thickness lever. And see next comment.
> If you clean the heads frequently the waste ink tank can be full and
> fouling the heads each time you clean them.  It is a sponge filled
> tray beneath where the heads park themselves. Not sure how it is
> cleaned.

Yes, that can be a cause of trouble. On my 1270, I seem to recall that
there is some sort of drain from the sponge immediately below the heads
in parked position, but it's been a while since I was in there. In any
case, if the ink builds up under there, the bottom of the head assembly
picks up ink from it and smears it across the paper. I know there have
been some description of hos to clean it on the web. Basically, they
involve soaking out the excess ink, then cleaning the bottom of the head
assembly. I did it, but don't remember the details. It did solve the
problem so far.

I'm puzzled by the lack of distinction in this thread between dye based
and pigment inks. They are quire different animals. Assuming from the
way one kind of ink acts that the same will be true of a different
printer design with the other ink type, or vice versa, seems simplistic
to me.

Moose