[OM] IR film to discover heat losses?

Subject: [OM] IR film to discover heat losses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:23:37 -0500
The last couple of weeks in the new/old house with bitter cold
temperatures and howling westerly winds have pointed out that this
1950's house is full of holes.

I discovered before we moved in that there was no insulation in the
walls and paid a couple thousand to have cellulose blown into the walls.
  All seems to be pretty much for naught since, when the wind howls,
cold air comes rushing past window seals, electrical outlets and other
wall openings and probably numerous points I have yet to discover.

Can IR film help me here?  I've never had any desire to use IR film for
anything but have considered that it might point out the egress points
if not the ingress points.  But maybe it's totally impractical. Or maybe
it can only show how successful I might have been in plugging holes
found the hard way by showing before and after shots.

Any advice or references for locating and plugging holes and other heat
loss points on a 1950's brick ranch house will be appreciated whether it
involves IR film or not.  Based upon what seems to be flowing down
through the walls I suspect there are numerous attic holes that need to
be plugged in the spring.  I ain't going up there now!

Chuck Norcutt