[OM] Re: Greek pickiness [was: some more OT stuff]

Subject: [OM] Re: Greek pickiness [was: some more OT stuff]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:00:05 +1100
Yes you did - you claimed that the spiritus asper should be on the
first letter of 'hoi' - whereas it's on the second letter of 'oi'
because it always goes on the second vowel of the diphthong.
As in 'oi, oi, oi!' (Totemic Aussie chant). We're 'Oi' experts.
If you spell it hoi, then you've already expressed the accent, like
dodging the umlaut in Voigtlaender.
So there.

And I checked today and Greeks now do pronounce it 'polee' as in
polee kala (very good).
But Hoy polee sounds like you're addressing the parrot.
It's also the root for the prefix 'poly' as in polymer.

Now that's not bad considering I only speak menu Greek and just a few
useful words of Attic Greek which the waiter certainly doesn't
understand.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx