[OM] Re: Melbourne PMA

Subject: [OM] Re: Melbourne PMA
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 15:28:46 +0100
Thanks for this report, Andrew.
On 5 May 2007, at 09:42, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Just got back from the local PMA - poncing around with a 'Media'
> badge. :)
> Manufacturers sucking up to me, stand staff who knew bugger all about
> their own product, nice gels inviting me to photograph them and me
> scmoozing a few potential clients for freelance writing work - all
> the usual ugly shit.

Not so ugly as to put you off yet?
> However -
> 1. Got my hands on the Sigma DP-1 prototype - just flown in from Los
> Angeles or Vegas or some such. Nice little metal brick. Lens erects a
> long way to cover the Foveon 1.7x chip. The dispute between my
> occasional publisher and the local Sigma/Pentax agent seems abyssal -
> something to do with a incident at a promotional piss-up some years
> ago and as they are both family owned companies, personal petulance
> seems the root problem. Thus I won't get to play with the thing when
> finally released. Bugger.
Nice word, abyssal.  Of course, there's no personal petulance in this
organisation of photographic chums :-)

> 2. Played with a Ricoh GX-100 - demountable electronic viewfinder
> which flips up for macro work. Very sweet. Similar body to the GR-D
> but a tad longer.
Worth a look?

snip
> Oly content -
>
> 4. The Panasonic stand had a 4/3rd 25mm f1.4 on the3 crippled E-330
> body, whatever it's called - production unit just landed. Stabilised
> (they claimed) although it didn't say OIS on it like the standard
> zoom. It's a fat thing - looked almost as big as a Canon 50/1.2.
> 5. Panasonic said they were expecting that the Leica 4/3rd  lenses
> would be on offer separately by October.
That's pretty good news.
> 6. The contribution by Olympus was a large and completely empty stand
> with a gallery of images on the walls. Another triumph of marketing.
> Plus ca change....

They seem to be good at selling things at a discount now.  I have
just bought an E-500 for £230 (body only of course) just to bump up
the mps.  I am not convinced that I will use it more than my E-1, but
I shall see.

Chris