[OM] Re: Winston Was Wax?

Subject: [OM] Re: Winston Was Wax?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:51:22 -0700
I would have thought that actually he was incapable of irony.
However, today he posts a picture of Cate Blanchett and asks who she
is. You may be right. Not very clever or interesting though.

Actually I think that the lack of ironical understanding in Americans
is over sold. Often it is rude and mean spirited, a way to establish
a pecking order, to "one up" someone you have contempt for, or
someone who has too much power to confront directly. Even if it is
not that type, one usually recognizes it as such, is not amused and
lets it pass without comment.

I suppose that the acceptance of statements by our government that
could not possibly be true completely destroys my argument though.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA