[OM] Re: [OT] advice on restoring roof beams

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] advice on restoring roof beams
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:53:17 +1000
If those nice terracotta tiles are going to be removed, then the
whole of the wood surface will be accessible. A penetrating treatment
would soak into the joints far enough. Also, as I remember, the
borers and nibbling beetles prefer hardwoods like oak in churches.
Unlike the bloody termites here - I've spent the last few days
replacing hard and softwood floorboards chewed out by white ants.
Nasty. Softwoods like fir tend to be resistant to borer attack in
cool climates because of the high level of resins in them. Some, like
the Tasmanian Huon Pine are resistant to just about anything except a
chainsaw - fallen trunks have been carbon dated to over 20,000 years
as I recall, without rot or fossilization.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx