[OM] Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:34:24 -0500
Oh, ye of little faith.  Has Dr. Flash not already taught you that
manual control is the way to image salvation through perfect
enlightenment?  Shun ye the high cost and foibles of automation!

Ye may better see the glorious light (and more cheaply) with an Olympus
T-32, Vivitar 285HV, Sunpak 383, Sunpak 422D, Sunpak 522, Canon 540EZ or
any of many other long forgotten manual control flashes available on
that auction site and elsewhere for very little money.  All are roughly
the same power level and, as listed above by brand, they are in order of
least to greatest manual control.  All except the Canon also have a
flash controlled auto exposure mode.

The Sunpak 383 (80USD) and Vivitar 285HV (90USD) are still available new
despite being designed about 25 years ago.  Still in high demand by many
pro's who prefer to shoot manual flash for complete exposure control.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52799-REG/Sunpak_0383_383_Super_Auto_Flash.html>
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Auto_Flash.html>

Older models of the Vivitar 283 (not listed above) and 285 may have
unacceptably high trigger voltages for use on a digital camera.  That's
why I have specified the 285HV which, along with the others listed
should have a trigger voltage of 12 volts or less.

Dr. Flash