[OM] Re: PBG2 out of juice

Subject: [OM] Re: PBG2 out of juice
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:19:47 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't really have an answer to your question since, although I've got
> a PBG2, I've never filled it with batteries so don't have a base to draw
> on.  However, after having just looked up the tech data on Varta
> "Superlife"  batteries I think you've been drawn into a bit of marketing
> hype without paying close attention to the specs.  The "Superlife"
> battery is a normal zinc chloride battery.  Nothing at all "super" about
> it.  If you're going to use C batteries you should be using alkaline
> rather than older style zinc chemistry or NiMH for the greatest life and
> rechargeability.  I suspect that 4 AA NiMH batteries in the T32 will
> last much longer than the larger zinc C batteries in the PGB2.

I own a PBG2, and I've never used anything else besides alkalines or
NiMH in it.  Varta can make very good batteries, but their "Superlife"
brand is often found in cheap consumer goods as the "batteries
included!" come-on on the packaging.  Most recently, I got a set of
these in a tacky little LED-lit fibre-optic Christmas tree that I bought
for my desk.  I threw them away without even unwrapping 'em and put in a
pair of alkalines from Costco.

Muuuuuuch better...

Garth