[OM] Re: [OT] Extended stay in Californa

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Extended stay in Californa
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:23:14 -0800
"Johan Malmström" wrote:
> My stay in Calaiforna has been extended, so besides going to El Centro I'm
> now also heading for Vacaville (NE of San Fransisco). My plan is to drive
> from El Centro late thursday, stay in San Diego that night then go go north
> by the sea. Another plan would be to go inland, passing some of the National
> Parks on the way. I'm to arrive in Vacaville on monday, and I don't like to
> rush things when I'm in parks so I think I stay to coast ways.
>
> If anybody has any idea of good places to stay between San Diego and San
> Fransisco please speak out :)

Winter is in full swing here. Lots of rain throughout the state and snow
in the mountains. El Centro is irrigated desert country where lots of
winter vegetables are grown. Although it looks close to San Diego, the
weather can be quite different. If it were me, I'd seriously consider
not going back through San Diego, especially if it's going to be rainy.
The area from San Diego to LA is almost one urban area. It looks now
like the weather will be improving by Thursday in SoCal, but things
change. NorCal looks to be wet pretty much the whole time. I'd look at a
route No. through Hemet and along the Salton Sea. Should be some good
scenery and likely decent weather.

A side trip to Joshua Tree NP would be good if you have time. Either
way, you then head West on I-10 and have decisions to make, Central
Coast, Central Valley or fly.
----------------------------------
If the weather forecasts for the Central Coast are good, that's a very
scenic drive, although also a long one. You really need to pay attention
to time when going through the LA area. Commute traffic is brutal. You
don't want to be heading in before 9 am at the earliest and 10 is
better. And you don't want to be heading out much later than 3 pm. I'm
out of touch with LA, but suppose taking I-10 in  until you can switch
No. to 210, West to 101 and on to Ventura on the coast. Then it's 101
until it turns inland and whatever combo of 1 and 101 you like until
back at the ocean briefly. Then back inland toward San Luis Obispo.

Here, you can slip off West to the Morro Bay area, which is very pretty.
Montana de Oro State Park is beautiful and I love the Los Oso peninsula.
The Elfin Forest there is worth a brief visit and driving through Morro
Bay is nice. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MorroBay/>

Hwy 1 goes on up the coast, but you need to make a decision just before
you get to Cambria. The section of Hwy 1 from there to Carmel is
absolutely spectacular. It is also really long and windy. It's more than
half a day to drive with even fairly minimal stops - and you will want
to stop. Many of the views are to die for.

You may not have a choice, as slides not uncommonly close part of the
road in the winter. There is literally no way across the mountains over
that route, so it's all the way or nothing.

Point Lobos St. Park just So. of Carmel is one of the most impressive
meetings of land and sea in the world - especially in the winter when
there is some surf running. Just spectacular. Carmel is wonderfully
picturesque and beautiful along the water. The 17 mile drive from there
to Monterey is another spectacular, winding drive along rugged coast.
You can visit all these and Monterey, including the unique aquarium
whether you take Hwy 1 along the coast or 101 inland. This gallery is
all from that area.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Monterey%20-%20June%202006/index.html>

 From there, you can again choose between hwy 1, and more, but slightly
less rugged, coast, ending up in SF, or 101 up through San Jose and
either SF or the East Bay (where I live). Again, you need to plan around
commutes if you don't go through on the weekend.
----------------------------------
The Central Valley route is attractive in summer if one has extra time
to visit the mountains. Yosemite in the winter (well anytime) is
wonderful. But if you can't fit that in, I'd avoid it. It is otherwise a
long, boring ride, somewhat dangerous in heavy rain and seriously
dangerous when they get their delightful winter ground fogs. You REALLY
don't want to go through if those are forecast. People die every year in
huge pile-ups on the freeways. And even if you don't have an accident,
crawling in near zero visibility for hours isn't fun.
----------------------------------
If the weather forecasts for the coast and valley are poor, I'd
seriously consider flying, either Ontario or Las Vegas to Sacramento.
Really. The coast in a serious storm is a real trek, lots of rain and
little view. Ontario's the short way. Las Vegas looks out of the way,
but you can visit Death Valley and/or the Mojave desert on the way, you
can get cheap rooms and food there and the flight to Sacramento is short.

As to places to stay or eat, ask when you have a route picked.

And have fun!

Oh yeah, Vacaville (Cowtown, in Spanish) - boring. They have a big
outlet mall. Big thing there for photographers is the home of
Micro-Tools. <http://www.micro-tools.com/8.html> Definitely worth a
visit for any tinkerer.

About the only interesting place to go there in winter is the Sacramento
River Delta. Low key, but I rather like it. These shots were taken there
not far from Vacaville in the winter on an on again off again rain day.
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/TreeMtn.htm
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/GreenHill.htm
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/shack.htm
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/Falling.htm

Driving over to Rio Vista, then along the levees toward Sacramento is
nice too if the weather isn't heavy rain. Tahoe is beautiful if you have
a day or two to spare, but weather is again a big factor.

Moose