[OM] Re: Church update : Welford & Woodford (OT gear)

Subject: [OM] Re: Church update : Welford & Woodford (OT gear)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:30:13 -0700
geebee wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> Plenty of food for thought there. I wouldn't take issue with any of the
> points that you made very eloquently.

What fun is that? ;-)
> I'm just glad that I am in love with the telephoto range
Preachin' to the choir here. I've always loved tele and macro, picking
out the special, small piece out of a larger view. You use of WA has
been one of the important influences in my slow process of finally
learning to use WAs somewhat effectively in the last few years.
> rather than the digital process :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I guess what I was saying, in a nutshell, is that the quality of the
images the camera is making isn't up to the level of the images you are
capturing.

I didn't flip to your new images thinking anything about cameras, but
only, as usual, to enjoy the images. It was only when I noticed that the
images didn't look as good as usual, which was instantly, that I
remembered that you have been playing with the FZ50, how that was likely
the camera used and  how that was affecting your results.

I've never cared whether your shots were Oly or Leica, the lenses and
film used were up to the task.

There are other solutions to long fl range zooms and good tele that
don't cost much more or weight much more, but also don't compromise the
end results as much. I know they don't involve Leica designed optics,
but that Panny sensor isn't doing justice to the lens in front of it,
anyway.

An Oly E-510 with 18-180 is 35-360mm eq. with IS vs. the 35-420 of the
FZ50, and you can crop the Oly image to 420mm eq. with better IQ than
the Panny.

Any of the Canon APS size sensor cameras with Tamron 28-300 VR is
45-480mm eq. with IS. I certainly had fun and good results with the 300D
and the non IS version of the lens. The low noise means it's easy to use
higher ISOs to keep shutter speeds up without much compromise. I don't
know if you looked at the test on dpreview, but the IQ advantage of a
DSLR at higher ISOs is HUGE.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ50/page17.asp>

Anyway, I've nattered on too long. It just seems a shame to see such
beautifully found, framed and captured subjects rendered so relatively
poorly by the camera used. Purely selfish on my part as a viewer.

It' certainly possible that more processing could bring up the IQ at
your web display size, but I'm guessing from what you said that oyu
aren't much interested in that option.

Moose