[OM] Re: Konica Hexanon adapters to Pen FT?

Subject: [OM] Re: Konica Hexanon adapters to Pen FT?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:19:23 +1100
I am at this very moment working on a Hexanon 40mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and
50mm 3.5 Macro and tube - got the lot off ebay for $60 with a spare
50mm and tube for practice.
Don't know about Pen and OM but the problem for 4/3rds is a step in
the mount. An adapter would be impossible as there is simply no room
for it, the Hexanon mount being very close in size and shape to the
4/3rds moount.
Basically, the conversion requires a 1.5mm packing ring for the mount
or the lens bayonet will not grip. People cut it from brass shim or
fibreglass circuit board blanks. The bayonet itself is compatible.
You also need to remove any rear projections to protect the Oly
mirror - the aperture engagement cam and the pin or cam in the centre
masking plate. It will then work.
However, the lens now mounts upside down. This is tricky if it
worries you as it requires a repositioning of a long spring in the
mount plate so that the mount can be rotated 180deg. Otherwise the
aperture won't work.  While the mount plate is off, it should be
spaced out a further 0.5mm for precise infinity focus. I also removed
the AE locking cam as it's a nuisance - and spent some time finding
the ball bearing that does the aperture click stops (hands and knees,
Dyson cordless, magnet). It does tend to jump when you check the
mechanism before replacing the bayonet mount.
All this is far easier on the Macro lens as it does not have the
aperture spring in the mount. The whole mechanism os more robusat,
less plastic. The extension tube will require an encounter with a
lathe to reduce the step on the front plate by 1.5mm. Good job I've
got a spare.

The moral of this story is - get an OM adapter, use old OM lenses and
send me the Hexanons! :) (Assuming I'm still sane).

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx