[OM] Re: medium format film scanners

Subject: [OM] Re: medium format film scanners
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:36:20 -0700
Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> 2008/3/31, om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx <om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>  In particular, someone has suggested that the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED
>> is worth considering.
>>
>>  I know that this subject has been aired before and so to save list space
>> taking up old news any off-list responses will be appreciated.
>>
> Please keep it on list, having just returned to film and lost my old scanner
> I want to know my options.

I keep threatening to buy a acanner for MF film, and have been keeping
track of what's available. If I were to buy one today, it would be
either an Epson V700 or a used Canon 9950F.

Either of those and the V750 are capable of everything I can imagine
needing. DR is good and can be increased with multiple scans, if
necessary. Scanning resolution will be more limited by file size and
practical need than the scanner capabilities.

It does appear that the V750 may be capable of higher resolution, but
the difference is so small as to be more theoretical than practical, as
far as I can tell. Extensive reviews are available on photo-i.
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/scanners_page.htm>

Moose