[OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:29:32 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> Probably valid for most implementations but a TIFF file may
>> optionally incorporate lossless compression and throw off the
>> computation.
>
> However, anybody using TIFF compression with any apps I've used, is
> just
> wasting their time. In VueScan and PS, they write slower that the
> proverbial molasses. And in VueScan, they can actually be larger than
> "uncompressed". Completely useless, in my limited experience.

This is certainly true of 16-bit images, as the TIFF lossless
compression was specifically designed for 8-bit images.

But using TIFF compression with 8-bit images should always result in
some compression.  I find I get images that are 50% to 85% of the
original, whereas 16-bit TIFF compression seems to result in images
that are 95% to about 120% of the original.

:::: Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in
rich countries to rich people in poor countries. -- Douglas Casey
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AN10>