[OM] Re: Red-eye avoidance

Subject: [OM] Re: Red-eye avoidance
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:42:44 -0400
There's some computation on this page regarding red eye avoidance
<http://research.microsoft.com/users/alexeib/_private_protected_/p0418.htm>
showing a 7 degree angle from the center of the retina to the edge of a
mostly dark adapted pupil of 6mm diameter (but note that 7mm is possible
if completely dark adapted).  There's also some argument (mostly
unjustified IMHO) that 5 degrees is a reasonable working value.  In any
case, whether 5 or 7 you need to keep the flash separated by at least
that number of degrees from the center of the lens... a tough job at
40-50 feet.  The tangent of 5 degrees is 0.088 and 7 degrees is 0.123.
Multiplying each tangent value by 50 feet yields a flash separation of
4.4 feet at 5 degrees or 6.2 feet at 7 degrees.  Clearly impossible
using a flash bracket.

Your best bet is to put the flash on a light stand if you can and keep
yourself about 8 feet away from it.  I would use a cheap ebay radio
transmitter to fire the flash such as this 16 channel RD616
<http://cgi.ebay.com/RD616-Wireless-Radio-Slave-Flash-Trigger-16-Channel-New_W0QQitemZ250284156012QQihZ015QQcategoryZ30086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
I don't know this seller but he has good feedback and this is the lowest
price ($21.61) including shipping.  You're unlikely to get the
advertised 100 foot range (although some do) but you'll probably get
30-40 feet OK.  That also means you could place the flash much closer as
long as you can keep it out of your field of view.  Keeping it far away,
however, will result in some harsher shadows but also keep exposure very
even across the field of view and, perhaps more importantly, also front
to back.

You won't get any TTL control using the transmitter but if you're
shooting digital you shouldn't need any.  With the flash in a fixed
location, and flash and camera in manual mode, the exposure will not
change.  Taking and chimping 2-3 test shots should give you much better
exposure control than any TTL system.

ps:  If 'twere me I'd use multiple flash units and large diffusers if
possible.

Dr. Flash