[OM] Re: penn st. puke

Subject: [OM] Re: penn st. puke
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:59:32 -0700
Mike wrote:
>> By leaving up one wall, they fall under the "remodeling" zoning, which is at
>> least half the red tape and expenses.
>>

> Common practice around here. In fact one of my current projects did something
> similar. Got a permit to remodel and "discovered" problems with the building.
> Of course they would never have been allowed to build where and how they did
> if starting from scratch. Rob probably knows the architect, Vasos Demetriou

If things are similar in other places to here, I have some sympathy for
the developers, architects and builders. Rules are made as a political
and emotional process that has no necessary relationship to practical
realities. Some years ago, the venerable Edy's restaurant and soda
fountain right downtown closed. The building was in terrible shape, and
needed serious renovation before any new use could be made.

Because it was a historical building (amazing politics in that, as
well), it was impossible, as a practical matter, to replace it. Further,
remodeling could only replace a certain, limited % of the structure, or
it was replacement. I don't remember the %, but it was somewhere in the
40-60% range. The builders got their permit, wrapped the building in
scaffolding and protective fabric, so nothing could be seen of what was
going on inside. Then in a great hurry, they simply demolished
everything but the facade. By the time the City found out, it was too
late, and they rebuilt from scratch to contemporary code, earthquake
standards, etc.

I'm not involved in City politics, only an often bemused observer. As
far as I can tell, there was some hand slapping and a promise never to
do that again, but no actual penalties. I wondered at the time whether
the whole thing had been quietly arranged between the Building
Department and the developer to deal with an impossible situation that
could have left a derelict building on a prominent corner right in the
center of downtown - for ages.

In the end, the facade looks just as it did, with a functional, safe
building behind it. Doesn't seem like a bad outcome.

Moose