[OM] Re: New gallery on home page

Subject: [OM] Re: New gallery on home page
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:23:17 +0100
Thanks for the reminders, in more senses than one, Donald.  We stood in the
cemetery at Marfaux three years ago, with my wife's uncle, who until then
had no idea where his father (1/6th Black Watch) had died (when his son was
three years old).  There was no marked grave, but the date, the progress of
the 2nd battle of the Marne, and the terrain were all circumstantially
definitive.  His father had died in the fields and woods across the main
road, along with about 800 others, a third of them unnamed casualties (as
you will have seen) on 20 July 1918. www.cwgc.org does not list the regiment
for unnamed graves - you have to visit to see how many there are, and the
Seaforths and Black Watch stand out. All of them part-time Territorials, who
had volunteered for "Home Defence" to replace the regulars posted to France.

I will locate my own album and post it.

--
Piers