Re: [OM] (OM) not - Bill Henson in Oz

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) not - Bill Henson in Oz
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:41:36 -0500
On Saturday, December 13, 2008 21:03, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> > But then perhaps they don't transfer to the screen very well.  There
> > are some interesting mixes of colours, but many of them are too dark
> > to see.  You'd have to have a pretty light place to find the subject
> > in some of them.
>
> I agree Chris, some of them don't transfer to the screen well and the
> reason is that the images didn't transfer very well to the original prints
> !  I've seen some of his original prints (I think it was a 30yr
> retrospective in Melbourne a few years ago), some printed maybe 2m wide,
> some I thought were very disappointing considering his reputation.  You can
> understand that the technical quality might be a bit poor given that he was
> shooting in very low light, but in some cases the actual subject matter was
> just not interesting.
>
> > It's a good thing that AndrewF isn't listening ... :-)
>
> I wonder ?
>
> ...Wayne

I'm going to assume that the artist is trying to capture the feel of late
twilight. At least it appears to be the case to me. The question is do these
photos do that. For me, they don't. I wonder if he light sensitive and wears
sunglasses inside so these don't seem dark to him, or he sees the whole world
as dark. -Doug