Re: [OM] RawTherapee

Subject: Re: [OM] RawTherapee
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:39:11 -0600

> However, I do everything beyond setting white and black points, exposure
> and highlight recovery and adjusting WB, in PS. I like to separate the
> two functions, so I can use different RAW converters without learning
> all the different image manipulation bells and whistles on each. Also,
> I'm lost without layers and some other tools , so I would have to go
> through PS eventually on many images anyway.

Thanks, Moose.  Our needs for raw conversion are definitely different and
that's OK.  For some of my event work, it is not unusual for me now to shoot
500-1000 images per day and with a second shooter, we're doing 1000-2000 per
day.  Personally, I'd rather shoot everything in JPEG HQ as the 1.5MB files
are perfect for shuffling around that kind of quantities.  But a lot of the
stuff has to be RAW because no two cameras see things exactly the same way
and you can fix a world of issues in RAW.  But mostly because the tools I've
been using, there is no real performance hit in post for working with RAW
vs. JPEG.

Hmm.  Maybe with my renewed interest in film and the discipline that comes
with it, I can go back to shooting in JPEG again.  JPEG HQ from the E-1 is
perfectly adequate for nearly all that is needed from those big events.
(just keep in-camera sharpening set to "0").

Any time I can avoid a step, all the better.  I'd rather only open up the
rare photograph in an editor, so anything I can do during the raw conversion
I'll do.

AG