Re: [OM] OT Pollarding (was: PTGui vs PhotoShop photomerge)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Pollarding (was: PTGui vs PhotoShop photomerge)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:45:51 -0800
> From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Size control is the main issue.... The trees, when properly
> pollarded every three to five years, can easily live for over a
> hundred years. When the pollarding is stopped they will fall over
> after 15 to 20 years because of wind and storm...

Yea, I was going to mention age, but as a side-effect: pollarding
certain species also results in a trunk that is suitable for high-
quality, straight-grained wood in a species that would otherwise
produce spindly, thin trunks.

Certain desirable hardwoods (laurel comes to mind) don't build much of
a trunk unless they are aggressively pruned.

But I'm more into coppicing. Just mow 'em down, and your kids will
have firewood.

:::: Thanks for coming. You all enjoy yourself. Make sure you pick up
all the trash after it’s over. -- George W. Bush, to black musician
Kermit Ruffins, after playing at the Annual Congressional Picnic ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::