Re: [OM] dots and pixels per inch

Subject: Re: [OM] dots and pixels per inch
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:45:13 -0400
Nathan ...

What you say I understand fully, but what I think is missing is the fact
that a print is a piece of paper covered in ink and that, other things being
equal, more ink within reason will make a better print.

The printer is driven by a digital image whose length and breadth is
measured in pixels. The print size is largely or wholly dictated by the
image's pixel resolution. As the pixels per inch increase the physical size
of the final print deacreases and vice versa.

Thus, an image with few pixels per inch being printed by a printer capable
of only a few dots per inch of ink delivery will result in a poor quality
print.

As the image's pixel resolution increases [more concentration of colour /
tone / contrast, etc information] coupled with a printer that can deliver
more dots per inch of ink must result in a better print because [1] there is
more image information for every inch of digital image, and [2] more ink per
inch is being put on the paper.

Thus, in my mind the key issue is optimizing the combination of [1] the
image's pixels per inch resolution and [2] the rate per inch at which the
printer can deliver dots of ink to the paper. If [1] and [2] are optimized
one gets an ideal print or so I think. If there is an imbalance between [1]
and [2] there is either too much image information [too many pixels per
inch] for the printer to cope with or not enough image information leaving
the printer to underperform.

Is there a formula or rule of thumb for optimizing the combination of pixel
resolution and the dot rate per inch at which the ink is put on the photo
paper.

John Hudson

ps: Both of these pieces are interesting reading

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/measure_dpi.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch