Re: [OM] Latest Combination

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest Combination
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:42:42 -0800

> If she was running, chances are she saw you coming and that's why she tried
> getting to the other side of the road.  Deer always think the other side is
> safer for some stupid reason.

The deer are thick around here but thankfully very small. Our vehicles
currently have a couple of battle scars. Any deer on the shoulder of the
road  _will_ jump in front of the car as you approach with the intention
to turn to run away down the road. I'm guessing that the deer is unable
to judge the closing speed of the vehicle and sees the road as the
clearest path of flight. This would be true of most traditional
predators which they can outrun but as a result of this strategy many
get nailed. In this neighborhood we practice the 3S method of deer
control but still can't keep up. The only way to fence a garden is with
a 6'+ fence with a stand of wire off set horizontally at the top. The
stand off wire is the key. I am continually fixing the pasture fence as
the idiot deer keep crashing right into it rather than jumping over
which they could easily do.

Mike