Re: [OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:25:43 -0600

> Although there were some functional advantages and emotional
> attachments in the old technology, the efficiency and
> operational costs of the new technology are so superior, that
> the new displaced the old practically overnight.

I absolutely agree with your assessment.  However, a number of railroads had
converted to burning oil instead of coal and that really improved things for
the steam engines.  Certain major cities (NYC included) banned coal-fired
locomotives decades earlier.

The main reason, it is believed, that the transition to D-E engines was so
fast was that the rolling stock was worn out after WW2 and in need of
replacement anyway.  Had engines been built and/or refurbished during WW2
(which rarely, if ever happened), it would have taken much longer to
amortize them off the books and justify the swift replacement.

OM-4-3-2 Schnozz