Re: [OM] Anyone tried a ZD 9-18 yet?

Subject: Re: [OM] Anyone tried a ZD 9-18 yet?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:54:46 -0500
 >I have come to the tentative conclusion that these over the top statements
are a corn fed version of humor.

Guilty as charged--Usually.

My comment regarding Canon lenses was made without specifying either the
criteria or my sources. Specifically, I'm referring to the requirements of
the latest/greatest in FF sensor'd cameras. It is no secret that few Canon
lenses have been standing up to the resolution demands of these new
ultra-high resolution cameras such as the 5Dmk2. Reviews in such storied
websites, such as Luminous-Landscape and even DPReview state this very thing
and the long-term Canon apologists in their forums won't even challenge it.
Trash-talking of Canon ergonomics and lenses comes from Canon users--I
didn't start it. I think it's pretty obvious that if Canon had a more
complete line of high-resolution lenses there wouldn't be the scarfing of
select Zuikos to fill the gaps. (Of course, there are plenty of Zuikos that
don't make the grade, either).

Just as we Zuikoholics know the nuances of each Zuiko and know which ones
are better than others, why would Canon users be any different?  It takes
only a few minutes of research to find out which (new and used) lenses to
get and which ones to avoid.

Previous reviews of the 1DsMk3 stated the same thing about how few lenses
were capable of matching the sensor. This is possibly the main reason why
the 1DsMk3 has been a poor seller (in comparison to the Mk1 and Mk2) because
there has been little to no gain for the majority of users.
Another thing I failed to state clearly is that one of the big arguments was
the total number of lenses produced by Canon in the EOS mount since the
beginning of the EOS line.  This includes the years of plastic
wonder-garbage kit lenses and non-USM lenses.  So out of the vast array of
lenses produced in the EOS mount, just how many are capable of holding up to
the 5DMk2 or 1DsMk3?

Therefore, I stand by my statement--as outrageous as it may seem. No
corn-fed hyperbole necessary.

AG