Re: [OM] (OM) During the last month ...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) During the last month ...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 23:27:50 +1200
Hi All,

Chris wrote ...
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:39:57 +0100
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) During the last month ...
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Well done, Brian :-)
>
> I had a quick look at your website and it's looking good.
>
> But navigating between photos is quite difficult:  on viewing one
> photo you have to select the button on the right to go back to where  you
> started and click on another image.
>
> Have you no way to navigate between images?
>
> Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris.  I have had nearly two weeks away during
which time I could add no images.

I do all the coding by hand using pure html (so far, although I might add
javascript to randomly rotate a selection of images in some places).

As far as I can tell, pure html gives much faster loading than any page with
javascript. Maybe with broadband that doesn't matter, but here, people using
broadband may be in the minority. Most are probably using dial-up, as I am.

For example ( I haven't timed it) loading the home page on facebook takes 2
minutes or more - it is jam-packed with javascript. eBay is something the
same.

SO, to respond to your query, I haven't figured out a simple html code to
take you to the next or previous image, that is simple and fool(that's
me)proof.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me to use the <go back> button of my
browser (Opera) or alternatively the gallery name. It's not far to move the
mouse pointer for the latter, and since the index page is already in your
browser cache, it should be almost instantaneous if you hit the gallery name.

Another site which probably uses javascript is Smugmug ( I haven't
checked).  The pages there take for EVER to load on my machine.

If anybody can tell me a clever html routine for going back, I'm interested.

For what it's worth, my photo site is hosted in Singapore. If any of you have
issues about download speed (considering it's not in the most convenient
place in the world), I'm listening.

On another tack, I interested to learn what any users think of the
12/5.6 Aspherical Ultra Wide Heliar lens' performance. Fits the Cosina-
Voigtlander cameras and Leicas.

Also thanks to Mike for encouragement. I might add a separate directory for
larger images for the OM group. I'm not using my other site for this as it is
jam-packed full.

Brian Swale. Daytime phone  03 326 7447
  http://www.brianswale.com