Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer

Subject: Re: [OM] This weeks pictures for fun - and it includes a beer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:56:04 -0700
Tom Fenwick wrote:
> The brew-pubs of the Pacific North West are leading the way in the beer world
> in my opinion. There is at least one expert on this list :-)

I'd broaden the geography to include at least No. Calif. That's where it
started (see below) and still a major source. As it moved North, it's
resulted in many excellent brews, too. There are also some good beers
from further South, Firestone Double Barrel from Paso Robles and Blind
Pig, from all the way down in Temecula, come to mind.

The number of lagers, ales, porters, stouts and who knows what else
available around here is sort of mind and palate boggling. And so many
of those I've tried are so good ...

Back in 2007, Moose wrote:
> ... With sushi, for example, Kirin in a restaurant, Pilsner Urquell or
> Trummer Pils at home. There are some damn fine pilsners out there in
> the world. And now Trummer Pils is brewed in both Vienna and Berkeley.
> And at least one Aussie finds it palatable.
>
> "I was talking to a guy at one of those beer tastings at a bottlo the
> other night.
>
> He was spruiking Trummer Pils which was sensational but at $18 a 6
> pack a bit pricey.
>
> He reckons Aussie mainstream lager is crap and I had to agree with him
> (as long as he topped my tasting glass again).
>
> He tells me he imports the Trummer himself."
>
> And Corona and the equally lamentable Pacifico of the West coast of
> Mexico are still better when lying on the beach under a palapa than
> soda pop.
>> I have not fallen among barbarians, they have risen around me and
>> seem to be winning.
>>
> Hasn't that been documented since the beginning of writing?
> It's been the reverse over my beer drinking life so far. When I was
> young, virtually all American beer was light, tasteless stuff.
> Nowadays the local markets and drinking establishments are awash with
> an astounding variety of specialty beers, some amazingly good, and
> many brewed nearby.
>
> Oddly enough, it's largely due to a fellow who lived in the
> neighborhood where I grew up. US law only allowed small amounts of
> home brewing for personal consumption, the underlying reason why
> brewing was completely controlled by big guys peddling tasteless
> swill. This guy started brewing at home and selling what we would now
> call microbrews. I remember Golden Gate Ale and Golden Bear Lager, the
> other names escape me at the moment. When the Feds came after him, he
> sued, and sued and sued.... and eventually won.
>
> I don't think he ever made much money at it, but he drastically
> changed the landscape of beer in the US. Sort of the Philo T.
> Farnsworth of beer, if you equate the old situation to radio. He sold
> the brands and they are still around.

Moose