Re: [OM] Sharpening, was: Intellisharpen II

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharpening, was: Intellisharpen II
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:01:46 +0200
Hi Fernando and all,

> From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

wow wow wow :( - this is what I've just 'discovered' some minutes ago -
> the moon and mars picture is too magenta if I look at it through a
> 6500?K cool lamplight, but too blue through a pale morning natural light.

That "pale morning natural light" should be around 4500-5000ºK, I believe...
6500 is quite rare in nature; sensitivity of most films is designed around
5500-5800, and slides are expected to be viewed at 5000 or so -- beware of
metamerism again!

> Since my monitor is at a supposed 6500?K, I should balance the colors
> out of this setting.

 That shouldn't be an issue, you may calibrate the graphic card to move your
white point wherever you want -- I'd recommend around 5500ºK.

I have just recalibrated my monitor... with the ColorSync software,
eyeballing it, as usual. After the gamma-testing my LG1910S was reported to
have a native gamma of 2.93 (!) and I corrected it to a target of 1.60,
which seemed a bit more natural than the usual 1.41 I had. The determined
white point was at 6540ºK (the monitor itself was set at 6500) and moved it
to 5804ºK -- 5500 looked too warm.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)