Re: [OM] [IMG] first one with the 300mm f/4,5

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] first one with the 300mm f/4,5
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:46:56 +0200
Hi Fernando, Ken, C.H. and all,

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I'll try to figure out, and still not awake enough.

Beware... that can make everything look hazy ;-)

>So, I had been warned on this 'coolscan issue', I remember him telling
>what has just told, before buying it _used_(*).

Yes, I'm with C.H. on this.

>And I'm not
>talking about a sharpening artifact

Sure it isn't -- this flare, hazy look, ghosting or whatever you call it, is
indeed a _softening_ effect, reducing local contrast.

>Perhaps, if I had a high quality LCD, I might be able to see this
>'contrast issue' of the 4000ED in a small 1280 .jpg.
>So far I can only say it is noticeable for me at 100%.

I can see it even at small size (161 x 240)

>You can find a similar situation in this one, done using the same
>scanner, but not done by me:
><http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=20&pic=4> -

Yeah, I remember that -- I was thinking about purchasing a Nikon scanner but
discarded it after seing that picture. Reminds me of the 35/2 :-(

>I think Ken is talking about something different, and in coincidence of
>what Carlos told me off list: Carlos called it 'flare', and Ken 'hazy
>look'.

On second thought, I would define it as 'ghost image', a bit like those
found on second-surface mirrors -- obviously not that on the scanner.

>I always
>feared there was something wrong with this scanner, so much that I did
>clean its mirror, driven by frustration.

Can't tell for sure, but I think dust in the mirror, due to relative
distance, would be noticed as a general loss of contrast, not such localized
effect.

>I thought I had got it, but denied so while doing
>the first img. because I was disgusted by a red shift in the slightly
>outdated Velvia.

Yes, red, I like your first upload better. However, that may look a bit
greenish now...

>When I saw the settings I had used, and looked at the
>slide (first time after doing the scan and uploading !!),
>I started again from scratch, matching the transilluminated frame

Transilluminated... by what source?

>I did found a tiny bit of purple chroma where expected to be, but I
>won't tell ....

What??? Oh, I see... but I don't think it's an "artifact" from the (superb)
300/4.5. I think it's more a scanning/processing artifact.

Cheers,
-- Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)
<http://cjss.sytes.net/>