Re: [OM] Canon vs. Oly teles, et al

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon vs. Oly teles, et al
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:19:00 -0400
> The Canon could be better but without a side to side comparison I
> wouldn't
> say the Canon must be better, just like many Zuiko wides are (were)
> still
> highly sought-after.

Based on the tests I've seen of both, and use with the Canon's, to me it's a
settled question. (Combine that with the fact that if I am using a lens like
that, It's probably for action, so AF is a big plus in that case).

The reason the zuiko wides are so sought after is they are (as I am sure you
know) basically the gems of the OM line, better than all comers in many cases.
IN contrast, Canon's teles are world-beaters, generally. And their wide primes
have mostly semi-sucked until recently. Hence the use of the OM wides on Canon
EOS bodies, etc.  Recent canon wides have finally gotten world-class again,
with 24/1.4L II, the 17 and 24 TS-E lenses, 14L II, etc. But the prices are
insane.

> I would actually pay to see a properly done test between Canon 200/2
> and Zuiko 180/2
> and perhaps even the 250/2.

There's vintage tests published in MP and PP from back in the day for the
180/2, 250/2, 350/2.8. Granted it would be difficult to compare to modern
(digital) testing of the Canon teles. But at least it's a start. There are some
reviews/comparisons of the OM 180 and 250 online, with shots from them vs.
other lenses. I think it's in Japanese, but the images are useful. I'll see if
I can find the link.

> Anyway, even a comparison between a 180/2.0 and Canon's 200mm f/2.8L
> (A lens I used and loved
> for years) would be great to see. If the Oly 180/2.0 manages to
> perform as good as
> the Canon 200/2.8L it's a perfect lens in my books.

The 180 at 2.8 is likely a match for the canon 200/2.8 @ 2.8 I'd think. I have
the Canon, it's a nice lens no doubt, perhaps the best (only?) bargain in the
L-series lineup for telephotos. The better match up though would be the 180/2
vs. the 200/2 or 200/1.8.  Price-wise that is closer to an even game.

I wish Modern Photography magazine was still around. They did the best lens
testing.

-Ed