Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Doctor Monitor, if he exists
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:34:10 +0800
Marianne and I just came back from an IT trade fair and we had a glimpse of
an HP 23" TFT panel. I asked the salesperson if I could control the RGB
output levels independently and he proceeded to show me how by fidgeting
with the buttons on the bottom right edge of the panel. It looked cumbersome
but he was able to show a dialogue box that offered exactly what I
requested. I asked him if these settings are available via software control
but he didn't know the answer.
My question is whether or not these independent RGB controls are common
amongst all the mainstream TFT panels or are they usually standard amongst
higher end. If the latter is true, does that mean that this HP model that I
saw is a rare beast?

K.

2009/8/14 Carlos J. Santisteban <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi all,
>
> From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >Then, I'd choose an IPS type.
>

> Mine (LG L1910S -- not to be confused with the vastly inferior 1915S) has a
> Philips IPS panel. I'm very happy with it, although shadow detail leaves a
> lot to be desired... it was, however, the best I had seen -- turned on.
>
> >Either from Tiger or Leopard,
>
> >ColorSync is very much like the old ColorSync.
>

> What do you mean by 'old' ;^)
>

> My LG does have some controls -- three RGB sliders and a (very coarse)
> general gamma adjustment; however, I do all the calibration thru ColorSync.
>

> >There were no knobs I could
>
> >find in the iMac to set contrast (same goes for my mother's old G3 iMac,
>
> >running Tiger)
>

> Probably done via software, in a tab on 'Monitors' control panel. Or some
> obscure F-keys...
>

> >I'm afraid it cannot be set
>
> >unless you enter its bios ...
>

> You're looking for "the bios" on an Apple machine??? Boy, you're really a
> convert :-(
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
> IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)
> <http://cjss.sytes.net/>
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney